- Written by Calgary Public Library
Reading is hard work and progress can be slow and frustrating for young readers.
Here are a few suggestions to help enhance your child’s reading experience...
- Children learn to read at different ages, so allow your child to start reading when she is ready.
- Listen to your child read and offer lots of encouragement.
- Be patient with your young reader — give him a chance to figure out challenging words before offering assistance.
- Help your child choose books and stories that appeal to her unique interests.
- Ensure that the language is appropriate to the child’s ability while still stretching his imagination.
- Select books that have engaging stories with enough illustrations to ease a full page of text.
- Read to your young reader. Listening to the rhythm of language, your tone of voice and your expressions gives meaning to text and helps improve reading skills.