The lazy, hazy and (hopefully not too) crazy days of summer are finally here! Will you be summering in your own back yard playing games with the kids? Hittin’ the open road seeking new adventures in places unknown? Or perhaps you’re leaving on a jet plane to soak up the sun, surf and sand in a tropical destination? Wherever your summer fun takes you, be sure to include our top picks for summer swag.
1. AMBI™: Parents should make sure their children are prepared for bug bites, bumps and bruises when they are out and about or at summer camp. AMBI™ is an easy-to-use product that should be in every kid’s backpack. This “electronic ice cube” can be used to help bring down swelling and relieve the itching without a mess. With an easy touch of a button, your child can feel better instantly. To purchase, visit www.myambi.com.
2. Earth Mama Angel Baby® Bottom Balm: Earth Mama’s best-selling herbal diaper rash is a great first-aid balm for the whole family, for skinned knees, childhood rashes, chickenpox, bug bites, cradle cap and more. Clinically tested by an independent ISO certified testing facility, Pediatrician and Hospital recommended. To purchase, visit www.blissdistributing.ca/Angel-Baby-Bottom-Balm.html.
Life’s a Beach
3. Flik Flops: Every pink and blue step will be a light-up adventure! These adorable flip flops have unique LED lights on the outsole of the shoes creating a vibrant, lighted path with every step! Kids love the interactive design, and parents appreciate the visibility of the LED lights at night for added safety while walking. To purchase, visit www.flikflops.com.
4. Kushies® Girl’s Swim Diaper: Washable, reusable and adorable! This swim diaper allows water to easily pass through while keeping solids securely contained and out of the pool. With quick drying nylon and a soft terry liner for comfort, the wrap style design makes it easy to change your little one while the adjustable waist with added ties ensures a secure fit. To purchase, visit www.kushiesonline.ca.
5. Frogglez® Goggles: Frogglez® won’t slip off in the pool or float away with the ocean waves. They require no adjustments, do not pull hair, are leak-resistant and float! They not only stay in place but the most important feature is they don’t have that rubber strap that is constantly tousling with a swimmer’s hair. They are completely customizable. To purchase, visit www.frogglezgoggles.com.
6. Konfidence™ UV Long Sleeve Sunsuit: Designed to be worn in or out of the water, and with an SPF 40 +, this sunsuit offers superior protection from harmful UV rays. Made from quick-drying fabrics, this is a must-have item for any day at the beach or pool. Great for younger kids as the fabric stretches and moves with them. To purchase, visit www.konfidence-usa.com.
7. Kushies® Sunglasses: Keep your child’s eyes protected from the sun year round. Available in bright, bold colors, these sunglasses block 100 per cent of the sun’s UVA/UVB rays and meet American Optometric Association specifications for non-prescription sunglasses. Made of flexible Dupont rubber, they also feature polycarbonate impact- and scratch-resistant lenses. To purchase, visit www.kushiesonline.ca.
Lovin’ the Outdoor Summer Fun!
8. Mastermind Toys® Dodge Tag: The ultimate 2-player dodge ball game! Each player wears an air mesh vest and picks 3 balls. Players throw the soft, safe Velcro balls and try to stick them to their opponent’s vests. Run, dodge and throw. If the ball sticks, it’s a hit. Kids will love this fast-paced, action-packed game. To purchase, visit www.mastermindtoys.com.
9. Prism Kite: Tie it to a log while you enjoy a family picnic or challenge yourself with dual-line control and acrobatics - all with the same kite! The Switch’s ingenious sliding bridle lets you convert instantly from a stable, traditional single-line kite to a high speed, acrobatic dual-line stunt kite. Assembles in seconds and comes with everything you need. To purchase, visit www.kiteguys.ca.
10. Mastermind Toys® slackers SLACKLINE: If you’ve ever wanted to walk a tightrope high above the circus floor, slacklining may be for you! Slacklining is the act of balancing along a narrow, flexible piece of webbing, which is low to the ground and usually anchored between 2 trees. Originating in the climbing world, slacklining has evolved into a cross trainer, back yard activity and sport all of its own. To purchase, visit www.mastermindtoys.com.
11. Stokke® Flexi Bath™: A uniquely foldable bathtub for children up to age 4. It is convenient to use and store, and equally as easy to handle and bring along when you travel. Made from non-harmful plastic substances, this bathtub is flexible and comfortable to use for your growing child. To purchase, visit www.stokke.com.
12. Pack-It Specter™ Starter Set: Cubes, Folders and Sacs keep everyone’s stuff organized and separate, and keeps your sanity in tact when accompanied by younger travelers (or traveling alone). The ever-popular Specter™ makes traveling easier. Plus, Pack-It can help you get more stuff into less space. For more information, visit www.eaglecreek.com. To purchase, visit www.jet-setter.ca.
13. Diono® Travel Pal: Designed to keep books and toys neat and organized. It has a deep cargo bin for toys and lots of pockets for smaller things too. It also has insulated drink holders and the cargo area is waterproof. Fits between 2 child car seats, and it’s big enough to hold everything for both kids. To purchase, visit www.snugglebugz.ca.
14. FlyeBaby™: A hammock-type seat that can be used on an airplane during the cruise portion of the flight as a comfortable and convenient place to put your baby. FlyeBaby™ can also attach to most dining room chairs to serve as a portable high chair. To purchase, visit www.flyebaby.com.
15. Stokke® PramPack™: Traveling with kids can be one of life’s richest experiences. The Stokke® PramPack™ is a travel bag that fits 99 per cent of all brands of single strollers, and many double strollers. Smart features include telescoping handle and premium baggage wheels for easy handling through the airport. The travel bag stores compactly when not in use; simply roll. To purchase, visit www.stokke.com.
16. Lay-n-Go® from Rockpretty Kids: A 5-foot diameter activity mat that converts into a transportable shoulder satchel allowing for quick and effortless clean-up of small toy pieces. Once playtime is over, the drawstring is pulled and the activity mat is converted back into a completely sealed soft storage bag. Also available in a smaller 18-inch size for on-the-go fun! To purchase, visit www.rockprettykids.ca.
17. TWELVElittle Allure Convertible Satchel: TWELVElittle’s most versatile diaper bag. There are 3 chic ways of wearing the convertible satchel: By using the top handle, you can wear it as a satchel; the long strap can be worn as a cross body; and by folding the long strap, the bag can be worn as a hobo. With sophisticated style and function, one would need to ask if it’s truly a diaper bag. The materials are water and stain resistant inside and out, and sheep leather trim is used so moms can feel safe about it being PVC-, BPA- and phthalate-free. To purchase, visit www.shop.twelvelittle.com.
18. Isabella Oliver Gathered Detail Maxi Maternity Dress: This dress exudes effortless glamour for beautiful summer styling. The Gathered Detail Maxi Dress has a lower V-neck at the back and gathered detailing at the bust and through the front. In cobalt blue, it’s the perfect style for summer evenings! To purchase, visit www.isabellaoliver.com.
Gear Dads Dig
19. Brookstone® Handle-Mount Grill Light: This BBQ light takes the guesswork out of your outdoor cuisine, allowing you to see what’s ready and what needs more time. Perfect for patio parties or late-night meals, the handle-mount grill light lets you barbeque on your own schedule. It is also water-resistant! To purchase, visit www.brookstone.com.
20. Gerber® GDC Money Clip: Thanks to technology via apps that have replaced credit and loyalty cards, fewer items wind up in wallets. This translates to money clips growing in popularity. Enter the Gerber® GDC Money Clip. Not only does it hold up to 5 essential cards, but it contains a 1.75-inch fine edge stainless steel blade for discreet access and ultra-practical incorporation into your daily routine. To purchase, visit www.gerbergear.com.
Melissa is the Copy Editor for Calgary’s Child Magazine.
Calgary’s Child Magazine © 2020 Calgary’s Child